Saturday, April 16, 2011

To Inseminate or Not to Inseminate

When I was growing up, I always thought that I would go to Lee University and get my music degree, marry a preacher the summer I graduated and be done having kids by the time I was 26.  Well, I am 33, working on a business degree and definitely not married and have no kids.  I have wanted nothing more than to be a wife and a mother, but it has not happened.  I could probably live alone, but I really want to have a baby.  I could adopt and I want to, but I also want to have the experience of being pregnant.  In this world we live in, we now have options.  Like artificial insemination.

I am watching "The Switch" and Jennifer Anniston's character is talking to her best friend about find a sperm donor so she can have a baby.  He, of course, thinks she's crazy.  She tells him that this is not what she planned , but she's getting older and she needs to have a baby.  She does not want to wait to find someone because what if it doesn't happen.

This is a very real fear that women have as they get older.  Our bodies change and the risks involved with pregnancy and our health jump.  For instance, if a woman does not get pregnant by the time they are 30, her changes of having breast cancer go up.  And if a woman gets pregnant after 35 she is considered high risk.    Needless to say, my biological clock is ticking - LOUDLY!!

When I was 20 years old, I would've have thought it unnatural for a women to have a baby through artificial insemination.  It was ok for a couple that has fertility issues, but not for a single woman who just wants to have a baby.  But now, at a very single 33, my mind has changed.  We live in a different world and it's acceptable now.  Is being a single mom ideal?  No.  Do kids needs a mother and father?  Yes.  There are many things to consider.

So my question is, inseminate or not??

1 comment:

  1. I am not a big fan of artificial insemination, but I do understand where you are coming from. Being pregnant was awesome (aside from my blood pressure problems and premature labor). But before you jump to that conclusion, remember that there are a lot of babies that need homes, especially if you are worried about the bodily risks. I know I'm not a big help, but I do understand to a point. I have a baby...well, a 5 year old, but I want another one soon because I'm 29, but my husband doesn't want anymore. And yeah, kids do need both parents, but there are plenty - and I mean, plenty - of kids with single moms out there who do just fine. I was one. :)

    ReplyDelete